Thursday, April 16, 2015

Exploring NFL Free Agency

So I know it's been a bit since my last (and first) post but I wanted to check in again with a viz tracking 2015 NFL Free Agency.  My Philadelphia Eagles have had a busy, and at times head scratching, offseason and I thought it might be interesting to see the free agents who have signed, left and resigned with the team.  The other objectives here were to show the quality of the players signed and the free agents that have not signed yet.  I used Pro Football Focus' ratings from 2014 to display the free agents by rank.  If you're interested in reading more about the ratings, you can do so here.

As for interacting with the viz, on the NFL Player Movement page you can click a the bar plot with grading buckets to see all the players that make up that bucket or the table with individual players to see his journey this offseason.

If you're looking for an overview of your team, head over to NFL Teams Offseason page and click on your team name.  This will give you an overview of new signings, players leaving, and players re-signing.  I wanted to have the ability to see exactly who the impact players were who have signed with a team and I feel like this gave me the ability to do that.

I also want to mention that I used the Tableau 9 to create this.  A couple of things to note that I really enjoyed:

  • Loading and interacting with the dashboards are much faster now than they were previous versions.  I barely encountered the wait messages that used to be the norm.
  • The ability to type directly into a shelf is really cool.  It was great to be able to edit formulas directly on a sheet and see the results immediately without having to edit any calculated fields.  It was then great to be able to save that formula only after I've seen the results and decided that is what I really want.


No comments:

Post a Comment